DLSU’s win against ADMU UAAP Season 75 Women's Volleyball Finals Game 1 led to a Personal Drama with my Family

Blog posts:



"Remember, DLSU is the team to beat in Women’s Volleyball. Defeating them takes a lot of uphill struggle. I'm just saying..."



Last Sunday (Feb. 24) pa lang, nakareserve na ang 3pm na pag-uwi ko from a practice in Vigan City sa aming house yesterday (March 2) para maabutan ko ang live TV telecast ng Game 1 of the UAAP Season 75 Women’s Volleybal Finals.

It’s pretty obvious that I’m a De La Salle University Lady Spikers’ fan ever since the era of Manilla “Illa” Santos. Grabe ang pagkabilib ko kay Illa nun kasi pamatay ang mga spikes niya na hindi mo aakalain dahil sa height niya. Nung last playing year na niya, nagchampion ang DLSU at naging MVP pa siya. I was so happy yet sad because I knew that was her last. She needed to leave. Dun ko rin nakita ang pag-usbong ni Cha Cruz.

I really miss Illa, mas lalo na ngayon. Anyways, back to the main topic……

My classmates would ask me, “Bakit maaga kang uuwi?” I didn’t answer them. I don’t know if you could imagine how anxious I was getting back home at 4pm. It turned out, I was in time. So much so that the Game 1 of Men’s Volleyball Finals was still in its 4th set. While waiting, I turned my attention on working with my younger sister’s requirement (it's a powerpoint presentation about The Girl on Fire and since i was the one doing it, I included the DLSU Lady Spikers as the Girls on Fire in Women's Volleyball in the country right now). I was just in front of the laptop as I took occasional glimpses to the TV. I’m pretty good at multitasking because I’ve done it several times.

I was so relax throughout the whole week when I had to wait. Minutes before the most-awaited game started, I asked my father, who is also a DLSU fan, “Pa, sino ang bet mong manalo?” Ayaw niyang sumagot ng matino. Sinabi lang niya, “Kung anong team ang mananalo.”

Sumabat ang kapatid ko kung bakit ayaw ni Papa talaga na magsabi kung sa DLSU ba siya o ADMU. She said that I just wanted an argument in case Papa was for Ateneo. At the start of Set 1, I didn’t know why I was so rattled. The score was very close. I was beginning to have a bad hunch.

But before going further, many predicted that the Lady Spikers will win its 3rd straight championship this year and 8th championship in the last 14 years. Most of what I’ve read from news articles and posts from different social networking sites around the net, give DLSU the edge. Noel Zarate (Yahoo) even coined the Lady Spikers as a Legion of Doom in Women’s Volleyball, saying that of the 13-1 record of DLSU in the eliminations, they will not lose anymore especially in the Finals even if it would be against Ateneo. Thus, they will make it all the way to their 3peat.

Yes, the back-to-back Champion is really hard to beat because as Noel Zarate said, their presence alone in the court is already intimidating. They just have to show up in their game and play. They just have the depth, experience, firepower, skill, team work, intelligence, endurance and heart of a certified CHAMPION that even if their opponent is up by two sets, things would turn around and then, they would win the game. Of course, DLSU only had very few 5-sets games and those were against very tough teams. During those times, they would still emerge victorious.  

I’m not from La Salle. That’s the beauty of it because I get to see the view of people who aren’t in the inner circle. I can say that aside from the extreme support of the La Salle students/alumni, people like me, never fails to believe in this team because DLSU truly DOMINATES. The great line-up that they have every year….it’s very consistent. When one has to graduate, there’s always someone there to fill that missing piece. The magnificent ERAS are on continuous roll for DLSU.

Back to Game 1….I just didn’t like the fact that the Lady Spikers had many errors in the first set (and the whole Game 1). I was confused because I knew that’s not how they PLAY! It was like I was watching a whole new different team. Ara Galang was not making her usual points…and then I was quite disappointed with Wensh Tiu for her errors. Aby MaraÑo, Michelle Gumabao, Mika Reyes, Mika Esperanza were off. Lady Eagles took the first set 25-20.

Ateneo pulled away more and ended Set 2 with a 25-17 win. This was the time when I was very furious with my Father because he was already telling me that Ateneo would win the game. For you to see a clearer picture, whenever I’m watching a Lady Spikers game, I’m just super jumpy and loud. I would cheer at the top of my lungs and become oblivious of everything and everyone around me. But at that point when I heard those words by my father, this was what came into my mind as a reply, “Basta, I have faith in them. They can still make it. Hindi matatalo ang La Salle ng ganyan lang kahit na lamang ang Ateneo ng 2 sets to none. It’s not yet over until it’s OVER!”

Grabe lang ang fighting spirit ko given na ang tahimik ko na talaga sa aking upuan. It was painful to see how happy the Ateneo fans were while those in green were incredibly silent. I knew that the Lady Eagles fans already had in their mind that they’re gonna win the first game.

If you’re a TRUE DLSU Lady Spikers fan, you would never lose hope. We know that they’re not gonna let it go. They’re the IT in Women’s Volleyball. Lo and behold…..They had a huge comeback as they take the last three sets and win the Game 1 of the Finals against Ateneo (25-22, 25-22, 15-6). Isa ako sa mga nagdilang-anghel. Favorite number ko ang 22. Dun napako ang Ateneo sa Set 3 and 4. (This reminds me of what happened during their first meeting last January. Ateneo was up by 2 sets to none but they eventually won 3 Sets to 2.)

What made the difference? Nakagawa na sila ng adjustments sa biglang pagiging quicker ni Alyssa Valdez (Lady Eagles) from being an open spiker/hitter. They found the solution to that problem. Ara, Michelle, Aby, Mika Reyes, Melissa Gohing finally started to bring out their A-game…Ara with those attacks. I love her. She’s only a sophomore but she’s just a monster beyond her years in volleyball. Aby, being the Captain….I saw that she really led the team…with Michelle and Mika Reyes, the trio are unstoppable in blocking. They were definitely back. Melissa Gohing game was plainly TREMENDOUS. Buwis buhay talaga, as in. Kahit nasa courtside na, sige pa rin ang habol sa bola. That reminds me, akala ko eh nainjured na si Ara nung hinabol din niya yung bola one time. Nag-alala tuloy ako. Pero infairness, nakiki-Libero na rin si Ara. All around talaga. Napansin ko lang din, napalitan lahat ng players si Ara lang ang hindi. Grabe ang stamina ng batang ito. Second year pa lang pero ang laro, veteran na veteran na talaga. Imagine na lang kung off ang game niya, sino ang papalit sa kanya para punan ang pwesto niya? Buti na lang at bonggang-bongga ang laro niya in, if not all, most of her games. Partida na yan.

On the other hand……..Si Wensh Tiu na hindi ko gaanong naramdaman, pinalitan ni Cyd Demecillo. Nagkaka-error din si Cyd pero nung sa mga huling part na especially nung Set 5, bumawi siya ng bongga. Nanghinayang lang ako for Wensh kasi it’s her last playing year like Melissa Gohing. Supposed to be, maganda ang laro niya. Pero malay natin, baka bumawi siya sa Game 2 on Wednesday (March 6). Si Mika Esperanza naman, si Kim Fajardo ang pumalit sa kanya. Sayang kasi off yung laro ni Mika E. Mas bet ko siya kaysa kay Kim. Still, it is an advantage to DLSU dahil parehong magaling na setter sina Mika E. at Kim. Kaya kung off yung isa, at least, may isang reserve.

I almost cried when DLSU won. Sabi ko sa family ko (my parents and my younger sister were watching with me), “Pwede na kayong magsalita at mag-ingay.” I became irritated because they were like jinxing the game especially during the last three sets and after people thought it was Ateneo’s game. I didn’t want that. I told them to keep their mouth shut until it was over. By that time, I saw a glimmer of hope. I was not wrong.

I let out a huge sigh of relief. Michelle was the Player of the Game with 15 points, Mika Reyes also had 15 and Aby had 11. The highest scorer for DLSU is also the highest scorer for the team in this Season, Ara with 17 points. For me, Melissa should have been the POG or Ara. If Ara was the POG, it would be her sixth. That would have been great news to me. I desperately want her to be this Season’s MVP or Finals’ MVP.

In the blue side, there were only two players who scored in double digits.

What do I feel right now, I’m ECSTATIC. That was so CLOSE. Eventually, La Salle prevailed. If you ask me about my prediction on Game 2 or if there would be a Game 3….IMO DLSU will win it hopefully in the first three sets (The scenario will be like their second meeting during the elimination on February 9, when they drew a record-setting 19,000 head count. They massacred the Lady Eagles 3 Sets to none). Ateneo will, again, make it uneasy for DLSU. With that answer, I’m not even thinking of Game 3.

Regarding the DRAMA here at home, well, I think there will be a Part 2 on Wednesday. Given that the Game 1 drew an estimated 17,000 people in the Smart Araneta Coliseum, ewan ko lang baka mahigitan yan sa Game 2 pero di ko lang alam kung maabutan niya yung record-setting 19,000 the head count nung February 9.  

Hold on to your seats folks because it will be another HELL of a game! Remember, DLSU is the team to beat in Women’s Volleyball. Defeating them takes a lot of uphill struggle. I’m just saying…


Related links:


Comments

LHADY LIBRA YouTube Channel

DLSU Lady Spiker Desiree Cheng plus Kibree Appreciation Thread


Popular posts from this blog

The Sad Case Of Produce 48’s Huh Yunjin 허윤진 aka Kirin-chan

The Secret Circle book and tv series...

Christina Grimmie: A Month Since She Went Home To Be With the Lord

FHM Now Wants Nadine Lustre as its Cover Girl, A Fan Reaction: Thanks but no thanks

IN TIME: A JessTon/ColtJess (Jessica Sanchez-Colton Dixon) Fan Fiction