Jessica Galanza, AdU Lady Falcons’ Newest Star Player


For Jema Galanza game highlights, I uploaded videos on my Youtube channel. You can watch the playlist here: 
Jessica Margarett Galanza, or fondly called as Jema, is quite unexpectedly putting up sort of MVP-worthy numbers in just a week since UAAP Season 78 Women’s Volleyball has started. Currently at number 2 in both the Best Scorer (with 45 points in two games) and Best Spiker (with 43.62%), and number 5 in Best Digger, Jema is definitely not just a pretty face. She’s quite unexpectedly turning so many heads this season, proving everyone that she’s undoubtedly the Adamson University Lady Falcons’ newest star player.

Before I get carried away and swoon much more about Jema, let’s pause a bit and talk about her last UAAP season. After that, we’ll go back to swooning.

Without Bang Pineda last year but with Amanda Villanueva, Jema didn’t get that spotlight YET, though she was obviously the second scoring option for the Lady Falcons (Amanda was first). To set the record straight, I’m actually a De La Salle University Lady Spikers fan way back when Manilla Santos was still playing. I also admire Ara Galang’s game. Meanwhile, with Adamson, I really liked Bang Pineda because I’m usually drawn towards players who are not that tall but have high elevation for a really powerful spike and who are also good defensively… just well-rounded kind of a player. When Bang graduated, I still was rooting for Adamson, but I just had to find a player that would convince me.

I’m probably one of the few who already noticed Jema. Last year, she was still so chubby though, I mean no disrespect. She needed that break out game to shine… and it was in that first round meeting of Adamson and UP that she unleashed her THEN career-high 24 points. Though Jema has always been pretty, her weight last year made her looked CUTE. I thought, imagine if she was a bit slimmer or fit, she’d really slay on the court not just in volleyball skills but in the looks department as well. I’m disappointed with how Adamson finished last UAAP season. Admittedly, I didn’t expect anything sort of incredible from the team or just from Jema this UAAP Season 78. Lo and behold, I would be proven wrong, at least by Jema, during their very first game last February 3, 2016 against the UST Tigresses. I’ll give my POV about this game.

First Set: Jema was quiet. She only scored one point. I didn’t feel her presence probably because it was May Roque who was getting the job done.

Second Set: I was hoping that she would make her presence felt… with 6 points. In my opinion, that really happened at the latter part of this set courtesy of that unforgettable and number-4-of-the-Top-Ten-plays-of-this-week-worthy drop ball.

Third Set: This is, I dare say, the real start of Jema’s explosive game, scoring a point after the other. 6 out of those first ten points of Adamson were from Jema (she had 9 points in the third set). Four of those were powerful attacks while the other two were service aces. During their last rally of the set, before UST overtook them and Adamson got stuck at 20 points, I love how she carried the team. Though they lost this set, my most favorite part would have to be her very cute STAREDOWN after an empathic spike… just because Jema doesn’t usually do that (I’ll elaborate this point later).

Fourth Set: I became worried that Adamson had lost their momentum and it crossed my mind that it might cause them their defeat. This is the nail-biting set of the match. I was on the very edge of my seat especially at the latter part. What made this set most exciting was the talked-about Galanza-Rondina showdown. Of course, I was rooting for Jema. She didn’t back down. She didn’t falter. She handled it well more than her teammates. If she would have been in the front row still and she was not the one serving, they could have won that game in 4 sets. Jema had 8 points in this set.

Fifth Set: I gotta say, in basketball term, Jema is like the ‘clutch player’ of a team. When you need points during the crucial moments of the game where it’s either make it or break it, you HAVE to give it to her… you just have to. When it comes to offense in this set, Jema delivered it at the latter part. 3 of the last 6 points of Adamson in that 16-14 5th set victory were from her. I just love that winning service ace of Jema. It was so perfect, enough to be number 2 in the Top Ten Plays of the Week. Her presence of mind at that point was smart. It’s hard to imagine what the result would have been if she didn’t try to do that. Come to think of it, UST might have won if it didn’t end up right there… since Jema was on the back row.

Jema’s game against UST is not only when she had her new career-high 28 points… It is her best game to date. She is the main offensive weapon of Adamson. So far, after two games, she’s the most consistent. I couldn’t imagine Adamson being a Final Four contender if Jema is not playing well. This is not to discredit the contributions that her teammates have made as well. It’s just that, if we are being honest here, she’s the one carrying the team, which is not baffling but very puzzling that she’s not the team captain (Mylene Paat is). It’s really funny because I’ve noticed how the Adamson Lady Falcons coaching staff has a knack for picking the ‘wrong’ team captains, at least for the last three. I think I know why they picked Mylene… probably because she is the ‘vocal’ leader as compared to her teammates. And so far, it’s not effective. Why not pick someone who leads by EXAMPLE. It doesn’t matter if you are vocal but your attitude (and or the lack of morale) once on the court and the way you play SUCK big time, you gotta let someone else to lead the team... someone who’s really deserving even though she might be the ‘not vocal’ or quiet type. Yes, I am talking about Jema. I think Mylene’s leadership has become detrimental to Adamson’s chances this season. I hope she would prove me wrong though. I’m also worried about the setting of Emnas and the tons of error of the team. As a whole, they should play better and be consistent.

Though I love watching Jema having a monstrous game everytime, it would be disappointing if the entire burden will be on her. She still needs the help from her teammates. Imagine how stressful it would be for her if that happens… how would she still maintain her pretty and angelic face? I mean, Jema could still look radiant even if she is sweating on the court. She could pull it off even if she would be hit straight to her face with a volleyball or tumble down trying to save a ball. Doing these never looked as graceful and pretty as Jema does. Her sweet smile when celebrating a point, even her impassive reaction when she brings the house down, and when this pure innocent looking girl suddenly stares down with gusto upon slaying a point for her team melt our hearts. She has the swag that doesn’t come off as arrogance (unlike other UAAP volleyball players).


Among the Lady Falcon’s players right now, Jema is the best one. I just love that it’s not only her offense that is working… her floor defense is evident as well. There are two things that I actually want her to improve on… her blocking and back row attack. If she could do that, then all is well. She’s not only going to shine brightly this year, it will continue for the rest of her UAAP playing years. She is undoubtedly Adamson University’s newest star player.

In honor of Jema, I made a fan video tributes for her. Check it out here:




Comments

LHADY LIBRA YouTube Channel

DLSU Lady Spiker Desiree Cheng plus Kibree Appreciation Thread


Popular posts from this blog

The Sad Case Of Produce 48’s Huh Yunjin 허윤진 aka Kirin-chan

The Secret Circle book and tv series...

Christina Grimmie: A Month Since She Went Home To Be With the Lord

FHM Now Wants Nadine Lustre as its Cover Girl, A Fan Reaction: Thanks but no thanks

IN TIME: A JessTon/ColtJess (Jessica Sanchez-Colton Dixon) Fan Fiction