Jourdan Miller: The Queen Won as America’s Next Top Model in Cycle 20 Guys and Girls


“Jourdan, you’re amazing! I wanted a boy to win so bad but you killed it on that runway and when I was photographing you, it was undeniable. You are strong. You are beautiful. You have a story that so many girls can relate to. You can take a higher percentage of pictures than I can. And you need to continue to push and push and push. You have it.” – Tyra Banks to Jourdan Miller

No one excel at everything. Each individual is made to be good at one or more particular things. That’s the way it is. Take for example; I have skills in writing that’s why I’m a student journalist. I also have a leadership skill that’s why I am an officer in a student organization. I’m quite smart that’s why I have good grades. In Jourdan’s case, it’s no doubt that modeling and runway is her thing. (FINALE recap at the middle)

Jourdan’s personal life is not a complete open book for us. The only consistent story about her is the fact that she ‘got married at 18 and got divorced at 18’, which was repeated on ANTM Cycle 20 episodes countless times. It was very evident how ‘many’ hated her. They say she’s ‘too bland’ or ‘dumb’. It is easy to judge a person especially when you don’t really know him or her. It’s usual that someone who is a known personality always has her own share of fans and haters. There’s an adage that says “You can’t please everyone”. That’s totally true. The way it went, Jourdan didn’t deserve the hate as much as she did.

I’m 22, she’s 20. What she had gone through in her life is not what most people of her age would go through. I salute her for moving forward and enduring her past ordeals. Not many can do that. Some may resort to other harmful means. I, myself, have been through a very rough path. I had few suicide attempts but I got up and faced these debacles. I had an accident and almost died but I am still alive. For Jourdan, she’s an epitome that at that young age, you can reform your life…you can learn and use it to be better. I couldn’t be happier with the voyage that I am taking right now. I write poems, stories…I read books of different genres…I study…I lead…Who could have thought I would have this kind of status after everything? Jourdan followed her dream and worked hard to achieve it. Nothing is impossible. She took the chance and we should do the same. Life is about taking risks.

I observed that during the last episodes, some of those who didn’t like her before suddenly started to like her. In my perspective, as a viewer, I’ve noticed that many admired her for owning up to her mistakes and apologizing to whomever she wronged. That was during Episode 7 when she humbly said sorry to Kanani and Renee. But the one thing that stood out for me was the time when she sort of defended Chris H. when she talked to Marvin about what he said (“you have acne on your face”). Honestly, I wasn’t irritated or annoyed by Jourdan’s personality even from the first episode. Why? I was too busy at her fellow finalists who have ‘worse’ personalities. Yeah, I know, I won’t mention names.

So, people’s perception of Jourdan didn’t only change because of the above mentioned. One factor that played a role was her consistency in the competition. Her fan vote and challenge score have kept her up there. In few incidents, she had not so high judges’ score but it didn’t matter. Data-wise, when you sum up all the numbers from every aspect, Jourdan is on the top. There’s no question that model-wise, she was indeed the best. Her fans said that there was even no competition. I say, they couldn’t be more correct. I admit though that I’m also a fan of Nina. I think she’s also good.

Let us look at her catalogue during her ANTM Cycle 20 journey. For me, I like all her photos…yes, you heard that right. I know that many people were not favorable of her animorph picture but I thought it was not that bad as it seemed. I bet that if someone else was in her position, they could have looked even worse. I actually have more than one favorite…pretty sure you already have an idea. Her nail art and paint photos are super gorgeous. In the former, I love the fierceness of her eyes. In the latter, I love how she handled the paint being splashed on her. The way her body looked…is amazing. In her other FCOs (First Call Out) or Best Photos, the trailer park chic photo deserves a 10. As for the Rice Paddy and Upside-down Bat photo shoots, I asked myself how you can turn something so ‘mother nature’ into something more majestic and picturesque.

*The FINALE Result. Who Won? This is my POV. When Jourdan got her 5th FCO, I was so sure she’s gonna win the whole competition. I did read spoilers but it didn’t influence me in any way to doubt her chances of taking the crown. I was very empathetic towards Jourdan when those who were eliminated had to root for someone in the Top 3, and she ended up with Chris H. It was heartbreaking to see her with only one supporter. She even said that she’d rather have none at all rather than have a ‘fake’ one. We were very expressive of our disappointment towards Nina of all people. I already expected Jeremy to be behind Marvin unless she entertained his admiration on her, which she didn’t do. Nina was the person who Jourdan considered to be the one who’s closest to her among the contestants. I believed that because it was evident. BUT when Nina was for Team Cory, I understood Jourdan’s disappointment. For a while, I hated Nina for that. Eventually, I realized the reason why these people had chosen Marvin or Cory instead of Jourdan. It wasn’t about how much better Jourdan is as a model but it was about her personality that they didn’t prefer over Cory or Marvin. When Mike moved to Team Jourdan, his reason for that decision registered in my head. He didn’t changed his mind only because of the money at stake, he knew that she’s gonna win because she’s the best model among the three. He was indeed RIGHT. Mike should thank himself for doing that. Who wouldn’t want $1,000? I figured that they were so THREATENED (insecure/jealous) of Jourdan especially the girls (Renee, anyone?) The boat started to shift its course when suddenly, Cory was eliminated and Jourdan and Marvin became the Top 2. Just imagine their reaction when she was called for her 6th FCO. It was EPIC. They were wrong to assume that she’s going to lose her spirit by the lack of support from her fellow contestants. It only fueled the FIRE inside her. When it was unleashed, NO ONE could stop her. Not even Marvin, who needs to improve much more as a model in order to catch up with Jourdan.  She performed well in the short film. That girl can ACT! She embraced and embodied her character. For her final runway walk in the show, she killed it. Her walk… She was a PRO! Her fierceness… and she handled those super high heels like they were never there at the first place. “For every WOMAN everywhere, there is HOPE.” This was a good sign. Then, we got nervous when during the deliberation, it looked like Marvin’s going to win. I was so freaking out on my sit. I tried hard to control my tears from falling. I said to myself, “Oh no. This can’t be happening. Please don’t waste all my efforts and time that I had spent all throughout this cycle.” But, I should have thought of how reality TV shows work in the US. In the Bachelor and the Bachelorette, they try to fool the viewers and make everything obvious. The truth is, what you see is not what it is. It took a lot of courage for me to find out the result. Like my fellow #SunriseSmize fans, I was ecstatic! The QUEEN slayed it! What Tyra said to Jourdan at the end was so true… Even though Tyra wanted a guy to win, Jourdan was just TOO amazing that she deserved to be given that title. After all, the competition is about the best MODEL and not the person with the best PERSONALITY. I admit, her personality is questionable and unlikable but the bashers/haters should admit, she’s the most perfect model among the 16 contestants especially Cory and Marvin.*

People also say that she is dumb. Hey, Jourdan may not be as genius as Hermione Granger (Harry Potter book series by J.K. Rowling) and Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson book series by Rick Riordan) but you gotta admit, she rocks the photos and runways like a pro. As I’ve said, you don’t have to be smart to be talented. We all have our own field.

In all fairness, I didn’t expect how supportive my fellow Filipinos are of Jourdan. Yup, I know that we are quite very visible and active online but it’s just mind-blowing to discover that I wasn’t the only one who have looked past of what’s outside Jourdan. They are vocal. What’s so good about it is that she replies to them when they tweet her. In that way, they feel closer. I admire Jourdan for that. After all, she wouldn’t have gone that far without her fans.

I’m proud of what she had fulfilled. I may only be a fan but I’ve watched her journey. I could only hope that she will go far. She deserves it. My message for her is: You’re young. Life’s hardships will still come your way…Don’t let these hinder your dreams. Use these to be better. Continue to work hard for there’s nothing more satisfying than getting something that you truly earned. Be strong and stay humble. Your fans are here for you. Don’t let the fame get in your head. Know where you came from and keep your feet on the ground. Jourdan Miller, you’re our Top Model. Work it Queen!



Comments

LHADY LIBRA YouTube Channel

DLSU Lady Spiker Desiree Cheng plus Kibree Appreciation Thread


Popular posts from this blog

The Sad Case Of Produce 48’s Huh Yunjin 허윤진 aka Kirin-chan

The Secret Circle book and tv series...

Christina Grimmie: A Month Since She Went Home To Be With the Lord

FHM Now Wants Nadine Lustre as its Cover Girl, A Fan Reaction: Thanks but no thanks

IN TIME: A JessTon/ColtJess (Jessica Sanchez-Colton Dixon) Fan Fiction