The First Ever Winners of Amazing Race Philippines



I still have nationalism although I prefer watching US TV shows instead of local ones. And believe me, I was a couch potato before. Watching TV when I was a child had become my life. It was when I turned 16 that I changed into a bookworm. But, now and then, I am addicted to a few local TV shows and more foreign TV shows.

Honestly, I was not a fan of Amazing Race, whatever version it maybe. BUT, admittedly, I liked it better than the Survivor or Fear Factor reality show franchise.

So, when I heard the news that finally, there’s an Amazing Race show here in the Philippines, I wasn’t interested with it not until I discovered that one of the pairs competing is the celebrity bestfriends LJ Moreno and CJ Jaravata.


(Credits to the owner of this picture)

Before the show’s launching, some people from the press had their bets on CJ and LJ as the first winners of the Amazing Race Philippines. They had become one of the early favorites. If you look at it, one would cross their brows and get confuse because these two don’t look like they could really make it all through unto the end of the race. I mean, first and for most, their ‘two girls’; second, CJ is ‘kikay’; and last but not the least, physically speaking, their chances are slim. But that’s what is deceiving. As we get beyond what’s on the front, you would realize that they actually had the highest probability of winning it from the very start.

How come? Well, the most important thing is, heaven and earth fell into place, destiny and fate collided… and it is God’s will…all of these were on their side. Clearly, the signs were there since the beginning.

It would make us understand more if we scrutinize the whole race that took place. What lead them to claim the ultimate prize?

Throughout the legs prior to the 13th (last one), LJ and CJ have never landed as first in the pit stops. The highest that they attained was 2nd place. Given this record, before the result, one would not expect these two to end up as first for the first time in the 13th leg (final leg), which is the most significant one. Personally, I didn’t imagine it although they are my bet. But I didn’t doubt even once that they can win it. Why? Well, one reason is that I believe in (and I truly admire) CJ’s wit and LJ’s physical ability.

As Derek said (and as I’ve read in an article) that this particular team is a really good combination because CJ serves as the brain while LJ is the body, together they make up a complete human with heart and soul, and the drive of winning the race.

I’ve noticed that like any other teams, LJ and CJ suffered from wrong decisions with detours and road blocks, which became one of the factors why they failed to check in first in the first 12 legs. On the other hand, unlike others, what has become an advantage for them is that they already know each other for a very long time. And because of that, disagreements or heated conversations/arguments in this team is, as we have seen, lesser (less intense) compared to the others. In fact, they just complement each other. The only issue that I saw was their clash with some of the teams.

I still remember when Boom and Cheng yielded them from out of the blue. I was as shocked as them. Why? They didn’t have to do that especially because LJ and CJ were not a threat in that specific leg. Considering the number of teams, there was not a desperate need of yielding BUT maybe there was because that’s what they did. Since then, I started to ignore Boom and Cheng. I didn’t really care about them. At the same time, I believed of what they did, they would suffer at the end. Bad karma will bit back at them. So, I wasn’t sad at all when they were eliminated in Cebu. If you were beside me while watching that episode, you would notice my very visible grin.

With Sheena and Gee, I totally get it why. Let us think of when they were almost eliminated not only once. Of course, it’s a matter of survival. They resolved to something that might save them. But they resolved to what’s wrong. I agree with CJ and LJ, they should not have done trying to create alliance with Fausto and Dayal by making up a lie about CJ and LJ. It’s definitely a dirty move of playing the game. Making the other teams look bad…well, that’s like cheating in an exam. Regarding when CJ yielded Sheena in the Cebu leg, it’s understandable because there were only 6 teams left in the race…it was such a close fight. She had to do that or else, with everything that was happening, it would be them who had gone home. Again, I really thought that with what Sheena and Gee did, bad karma would be on their side. During the 12th leg, they were the 3rd team to arrive but they were not checked in because of the 30-minute penalty they received. They were neck to neck with LJ and CJ for the very last spot in the Top 3. Eventually, they didn’t make it.

On the positive side, I really like how LJ and CJ helped Marc and Kat during the 11th leg. It goes to show that, they’re kind. The first place is not as important as aiding friends in need. If CJ and LJ didn’t do that, I am sure they would have taken the first place in that leg. But I was already contented that they came in second.  What matters is that they became good Samaritans. That was an act that pleased God’s eyes.

Anyways, I am aware that CJ is more involved with certain misunderstandings than LJ. She has this strong personality where she would not back out in arguments. She is fearless in saying things from her head. She would express herself so people could hear her out. I can see why some misunderstand her. For me, I actually like her attitude. She’s smart, after all. In my perspective, the competitors she had issues with, had been treated like that because they did something wrong or bad. So, if they don’t want that to happen, they should have avoided getting into her dark side. As with LJ, that aspect of CJ was toned down with her. So, it’s balance with the two of them together. But you should take note that CJ can be funny at times. The celebrity best friends had funny moments, in my opinion.

It was only recently when I discovered that LJ is a Christian. I got the answer to my question before. She behaves like that because she has control. She knows what’s good and what’s not. While I hear other teams cussing, I came to my senses that I didn’t see her (and CJ) do that even once. Cussing is one of the reasons why LJ became distant with Sheena and Gee.

Now, we move on to the moment when I thought they would not be able to make it in the finale. I was so emotional….teary-eyed is an understatement. It was hard for me to think that just when they were already that close, it would slip away. Kudos to them for finishing the leg even though they would be the last team to arrive. I know that CJ really wanted it.  What took my attention was when LJ said that “with God, nothing is impossible”. They kept on praying…..probably hoping that miracle would rescue them. The 30-minute penalty of Sheena and Gee was still running when LJ and CJ arrived in the pit stop. They were the 3rd team to be checked in. Thus, they made it into the finale. But it wasn’t easy because at first, before they were even told about the penalty, they really thought they would go home. I could see those tears and I couldn’t help but cry too.

When the good news was broken, I jumped for joy like I was with them. I was happy for them. I love their reaction. LJ kept on telling CJ that 3 is her lucky number…..not in their wildest dreams will that number 3 somewhat play a role in the outcome of the race favoring them.

Here’s what happened in the 13 and final leg. They were the second team to figure out their next destination, overtaking Fausto and Dayal. And then, the three teams were in the same plane to Davao. I would commend CJ and LJ for making the right choice in the road block where one member of the team should arrange the regions they visited throughout the race in chronological order. This challenge/task is a tradition in any Amazing Race versions in its final leg. CJ is very much familiar with this because she’s an avid fan of the reality show. She knows the show by heart. In fact, it was a huge advantage for them. So, in every pit stop, she did her homework by taking note of their destinations. She admitted that she studied in between their move from one place to another. CJ finished it so easily...she was the third one to solve it but she was the fastest to accomplish it correctly in only a single try. And take note, she was up against two guys…that’s how witty she is. It was a good decision on their part. They established a very good lead at that point because the other two teams were having such a hard time. In their next challenge, it was LJ who became the key at that time. It was a physical challenge to get across the rope while vicious crocodile were just waiting below. CJ was afraid but LJ led them, as they reached the other end, CJ complimented LJ for if not for her, CJ would have not managed to do that. Indeed, together, they did well in overcoming that task.

This is the part when one rushed decision could change everything in a snap. CJ read the next clue like there’s no tomorrow. She volunteered to do the second road block and then, it was too late when she was about to finish reading that CJ and LJ knew it was a wrong move as the next challenge was something to do with motors.  The thing is, LJ is more used to this kind of adventure…..They are very aware that LJ should have taken that road block, not CJ. I was so worried because she might not make it through 20 laps because it would be almost impossible for her, contrary to if it was LJ in CJ’s position. As I stare on the screen and look at CJ getting hurt several times, I was losing hope. To set the records straight, as I was watching on that Saturday night, I felt uncomfortable. The channel was still in TV5 not until I heard LJ said to I heard LJ said to CJ when she came to her rescue, “we’ll just take the penalty”.  I couldn’t afford to watch it anymore. I already thought they had taken the penalty, if that was the case, the other two teams would be able to take the lead and leave them behind. I had a heavy feeling. When I decided to return it to TV5, all the 11 teams were being interviewed by Derek Ramsay. My jaw dropped almost reaching the floor when he mentioned that CJ and LJ were the winners.

So, I went online and tried to watch the parts I skipped on. There, I saw how gallant CJ was in finishing the challenge. I admire them more even when LJ said that ‘what’s the use of winning if she is hurt?’. I felt how determined CJ was. She fought it (given that it was not her forte) and thankfully, they were on their way to the next clue. I think it was really meant that the next task required LJ’s skill. Just imagine how exhausted CJ was.

LJ drove the jet ski while CJ counted. When they discovered their next task, LJ drove faster, knowing that she couldn’t see any other teams behind them. They dug the sand. It didn’t take long before they found the next clue, which would lead them to the last pit stop of the race.

I noticed that Jervi and Saida were genuinely happy for them when they arrived. The other teams who were eliminated before were also cheering for them. Surely, it was a big surprise for most of them.

We should have seen these signs from the start. CJ’s first choice to be her partner was LJ but due to some circumstances, she auditioned twice with two different people. She was advised to find a different partner. It’s not merely a coincidence, rather, it was written in the stars that LJ was somewhat stuck in the airport on her way from Boracay and then, finally, CJ got the chance to talk to her personally. It was fate that LJ’s husband, Jimmy Alapag (a professional basketball player), agreed for her to join in the race as LJ was all for Jimmy’s approval or rejection. In CJ’s third audition, (3 is LJ’s lucky number, see reference above) she was with LJ.

Redeeming herself from being eliminated in Fear Factor was one of LJ’s purposes in joining Amazing Race. That happened because she was destined to win in Amazing Race with CJ. Aside from the fact that she believes that everything happens for a reason, I saw how compassionate she is. When these two were being interviewed by Derek, I give LJ applause as she treats her staff (she has a business) well. I also became giddy when she talked about her husband. I can really see how great their relationship is. She deserves it not only because she is a Christian.

With CJ, I didn’t know that she has a daughter. And CJ had her when she was just young, where CJ’s parents were the one who raised her daughter.  It was on the latter part of her daughter’s years when she knew CJ as her mom. I’m actually moved by her story. Do you know what’s so admirable with it? She’s trying to make up for the lost time….She said that a huge part of the 2 million that she and LJ had won would go to her daughter for her education. I could see how good her heart actually is. And, lastly, I wish I’m as smart as she is.  

Before I wrap this up, LJ and CJ really deserve it. God is on their side, I know. They’ve made their mark as the first winners of Amazing Race Philippines. They had proven that in this reality show, a lot can happen. Being in the first place should not make one team secure not until you finish as first by the end of the race. Being the last team doesn’t mean you don’t have a chance of winning. I agree with what LJ said that a team compose of two girls has a shot in being the first even if they don’t look like it and even if one of them is ‘kikay’. I also agree with CJ when she said that it takes wit/brain, skill, physical and luck for a race like Amazing Race.


Their fighting spirit…that determination….Like what CJ, “Our motto is never give up and shoot for the stars.”

Clearly, LJ and CJ were the dark horse.   

(Credits to the owner of this picture)


Comments

LHADY LIBRA YouTube Channel

DLSU Lady Spiker Desiree Cheng plus Kibree Appreciation Thread


Popular posts from this blog

The Sad Case Of Produce 48’s Huh Yunjin 허윤진 aka Kirin-chan

The Secret Circle book and tv series...

Christina Grimmie: A Month Since She Went Home To Be With the Lord

FHM Now Wants Nadine Lustre as its Cover Girl, A Fan Reaction: Thanks but no thanks

IN TIME: A JessTon/ColtJess (Jessica Sanchez-Colton Dixon) Fan Fiction